Tuesday, September 13

Making up Makeup

When Lisa asked me to do her wedding makeup, I was honored. Considering I'm not Trish or Bobbi or Laura, nor do I have any other experience with makeup outside of playing with it because I think it's fun, I thought it was a huge compliment that she considered my "work" good enough for her big day. Have you ever heard of a non-practicing lawyer/practicing makeup artist?

Anyway, turns out that Lis really liked her how she looked, so she referred me to a couple other brides to be. I had my first real "trial" with a complete stranger, which you see in the before and after pictures here... and I just found out that I've been hired! Who knew that giving my friends "smoky eyes" all these years would one day lead to this? I even beat out real makeup people who do this for a living.

I told my mom about it when I brought her lunch today, and all she kept saying was, "Mal do ahn deh!" which is Korean for "Shut the f*%k up!" (Not an exact translation, but it's pretty much something like that.) She couldn't understand why anyone would give me money to do their makeup, especially on their wedding day, especially because I'm not a professional. In her mind, I will always be 12 years old.

I repeat that I'm not an expert, but some of the girls asked about my makeup faves/thoughts. Here ya go:

  1. Eyelash curler - This is a must, and the best ones are Shu Uemera or Shiseido. You can buy pad replacements for Shiseido, so I slightly favor that one. I think EVERYONE should curl their lashes. Even if you think it doesn't make a difference, let me tell you: it does. Press for a few seconds close to the base and then step your way up your lashes. Instant open eyes!
  2. Eyeliner - My new thing is to line right on the lash line, between the lashes. I use Laura Mercier, but any cake liner should do. Wet a straight brush, press and wiggle it in your lashes, and then step and wiggle again. Repeat until the line is complete. You can also use Bobbi Brown gel liner, which I like overall, but it doesn't make as much of a precise line.
  3. Eye Shadow - This isn't necessary, but if you choose to do it, an easy technique is use a dark color near your eyes, almost like a second liner. I like purples, dark browns and dark blues. Next, sweep a lighter shade across the lid. A lighter brown or even pinky, peachy, goldish shade works. Make sure you BLEND! Blending is key.
  4. Mascara - I have stick straight lashes which hang directly down in front of my eyes. Maybelline Full 'N Soft is one of the few which doesn't uncurl me. I also like Lancome Definicils, but it isn't worth spending a ton on something you have to replace so often. (By the way, I am NOT a fan of the supposed cult fave, pink and green Great Lash.) A lot of people say they don't like using mascara because it smudges under their eyes. Wiping wet lashes by sweeping up with a dry finger helps.
  5. Foundation/Tinted Moisturizer - I love, love, love Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation! I'm on my third bottle, which say a lot for a makeup slut like me. Lisa loves Becca, and I've heard a lot of good things about Tarte. You don't need to use it all over your face, just where you want to even out skintone. Once again, make sure that what you have used is BLENDED well. I prefer to use my fingers to apply it, which helps me avoid caking on the stuff.
  6. Brows - I don't fill in my own because I have plenty of color, but I do tweeze often. Brows make a huge difference, so make sure your shape is good (and not too thin)!
  7. Blush - Smile, concentrate the color on the apples of your cheeks, and then blend up and outwards. Again, I say BLEND!
  8. Lips - Lately, I've just been lining lightly and using a lip gloss. If you have defined lips - I don't - you can skip the liner entirely. (FYI, Wet 'n Wild #666 is a good and natural pinky neutral color, and it's only $1!) For gloss, I like Lip Venom, but it stings too much for a lot of people. I also like Stila's glosses. There are a lot of great ones out there now.

And that's that! It sounds like a lot, but the key is to keep things as natural as possible and to blend, blend, blend. For another great source of product reviews, check out MakeupAlley. Now go forth and make up!

No comments: