Monday, February 13

Asian parents love copper bracelets

I bought my parents these bracelets when I was in Chile. I think it's mostly as Asian thing, but parents are totally into the "healing properties" of copper. My dad's is plain, but my mom's is a pretty, green blue bangle. She happily reported that her friend thought it was an Hermes piece.

The funny thing is, if I really did buy her an Hermes, she wouldn't wear it. My mom loves to "ek kyuh suh," which means that she will save things rather than use them, especially if they're expensive. Like most immigrants, she hasn't always seen easy times, so she's feels like she should be prepared for the worst, just in case. I understand and respect her thinking, but it can get a little silly.

When I moved out of my parents' place, I raided the storage area behind our garage for supplies. I snagged a ton of pots and pans, a toaster oven, rice cooker, blender and much, much more. She had TWO brand spankin' new blenders back there, and I swear they must've been from my parents' own wedding!

See the eyeglass holder thing my mom's wearing? I got that for my mom when the girls took a trip to Puerto Vallarta. Some kid who ran up to me on the beach was selling them, so I bought one because I was at a loss for what to buy. To my surprise, my mom LOVED it, and she even went searching for another one when she went to Mexico. When I traveled to Italy six years ago, I bought nice wallets for both my parents and my brother. My mom still has hers all wrapped up and tucked away somewhere. She won't use it even though her own wallet is starting to fall apart.

My dad does not ek kyuh suh. He used his wallet the moment I gave it to him.

I am more like my dad. Much more. When I buy something new, I often want to walk out of the store wearing it... and every once in a while I'll actually do it. My friends make fun of me for it, but I don't care.

I believe in saving too, don't get me wrong. But I also believe in living.

No comments: