Monday, August 8

After WICKED, call me Je-nn, "with a Je"

Wicked is my new favorite musical. It's based on Gregory McGuire's book about "the untold story of the witches of Oz."

What happened before Dorothy landed in town? Did you know that Glinda the Good Witch and the Wicked Witch of the West were once friends? Did you know that the Wicked Witch had a name: Elphaba? Did you know that Glinda used to be GAlinda "with a Ga"??? (You'll think that's funny once you see the show.)

We had fabulous orchestra seats (thanks, T and G!), and I laughed out loud a LOT. My favorite character was GAlinda, who is very girly and "popular" and kind of legally blonde. I hate to admit it, but I think I secretly kind of relate to her. At the intermission, everyone I was with turned to me and said, "Hmmm... I wonder who Glinda reminds us of?" *nudge, nudge* I guess it's not such a big secret after all. Glinda's character is a bit self-absorbed, so I'm wondering if I should be insulted. I'm going to assume that my friends were talking about her happy spirit and just leave it at that.

I've included a picture of the witches sans makeup because I was curious; I figured others would be too. Anyone who has the chance to watch this MUST do so! I'm going to try to see it again when the tour hits D.C.

And now I have to to read the book. I already have Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister on my shelf. I'll let you know what I think of both. In the meantime, go DEFY GRAVITY!

No comments: