Tuesday, August 16

45 MILES per GALLON


I Love my Prius! I got it in January, after my promotion at work increased my commute. I gave my 318 to my parents, and I got green at Hanlees Hilltop Toyota. Even though gas prices are pushing $3/gallon, I'm not sweatin' it. I typically drive 400ish miles before I fill my tank with approximately nine gallons. I can't complain.

People are always fascinated by my car. I get in without ever touching my smart key. I still don't reach for my key to start the car; I just leave it in my purse and press the power button. You can't even tell it's on because it's so quiet. The energy monitor constantly shows whether I'm using the battery or the engine, plus how much gas I'm consuming. It's almost like a video game. And, no, I don't have to plug it in. Ever.

Prius owners are almost part of an involuntary cult without meaning to be. I hitched a ride home from rafting with Ken and Kyla, fellow Prius parents. We spent the first part of our trip comparing the differences in our cars before we had a regular conversation like normal people. I didn't know them very well, so I learned about how they met, how long they'd been married, etc.

Then Ken mentioned something about discovering an extra tray in their car last week, which made me squeal, "What tray?!??" I literally squealed, I was so excited. It was sick. It was geeky. And they were right there with me. Game over. We continued to talk about our beloved vehicles for the remainer of our time together, and now we are bonded for life.

I can't wait to get my sticker that will let me ride in the carpool lane by myself. *Drool*

No comments: